The story of this beautiful old historic church begins with the first colonists who came to this Talbot Settlement and is evidence of the religious faith which they brought with them.
St. Peter's is the only church in this part of Ontario west of Niagara (except H. M. Chapel of the Mohawks on the Six Nations reserve near Brantford) in which Divine Services has been conducted continuously since it was built in 1827.
The year 1903 being the Talbot Centennial, a fund was started by members and ex-members and the present pulpit and communion table were purchased. The prayer desk and lecturn were given as memorials in 1906.
In 1903 the present rectory was built and in 1908 the church was raised and a basement placed underneath. The old pews were used in the basement and replaced with the present new pews which were arranged with two narrow aisles.
Hydro was installed in 1929.
In 1958, oil heating was installed and the pews were rearranged to make a centre aisle.
Several bequests and gifts have been made to St.Peter’s and to the endowment fund and many beautiful memorials have been gifts to the church.
The chancel window was given about 1865. It symbolizes the Cross and the Crown. The glass has attained a richness through the years and could not be matched or replaced today.
Six other beautiful memorial windows have been erected. The third one on the north was erected in 1928 just before celebrating St. Peter’s Centennial in memory of the pioneers and early settlers who were the builders of the church in 1827 and went as Abraham did into a far country and established homes for themselves and forgot not God.
Few of the descendants of the pioneers remain in this district but other families have joined the congregation and shouldered their responsibilities to carry on the old traditions.
St. Peter's Today
St. Peter's Anglican Church has remained true to it's historic roots while upgrading the facilities. In 2010 the entire basement was renovated, creating a welcome space for dinners and other events. With banquet-style seating, the basement can accomodate approximately 70 people. The kitchen is equipped with refrigerator, freezer, two stoves and a three-compartment sink for clean up.
On June 24th, 2012, St.Peter's church celebrated it's 185th anniversary with a Holy Eucharist service led by the Bishop of Huron, the Right Reverend Robert Bennett.